A video resume is a short video created by a candidate for employment that describes the individual's skills and qualifications and is typically used to supplement a traditional resume.
How a Video Resume Can Help
It's important to keep in mind that a video resume isn't going to get you a job. However, if can assist you in marketing yourself to prospective employers - if it's done right. Done poorly, it can, at best, hinder your chances of getting an interview. At worst, it can knock you out of contention and embarrass you. That's what happened to one student who sent a video showing himself lifting weights, serving tennis balls, and ballroom dancing. It made the rounds on the Internet and didn't impress, to say the least, any prospective employers.
Before you start working on your video resume, review resumes VIDEO FUN samples. Take a look at other resume videos and learn from them, considering both what works, and what doesn't.
How to Create a Video Resume
If you need help getting started on creating a resume Guide to Desktop Video has advice on shooting video for the web and directions on how to get started on YouTube.
Tips to Help You Prepare a Professional Video Resume:
• Dress professionally in business attire, just as if you were going to an in-person interview.
• Keep your video resume short: one - three minutes.
• Look at the camera not at the desk or table below you.
• Don't speak too fast.
• Make sure there isn't any background noise and that the wall behind you isn't too busy.
• Practice what you're going to say ahead of time.
• Start by mentioning your name (first and last).
• Focus on your professional endeavors, not your personal ones.
• Discuss why you would be a good employee and what you can do for the company that hires you.
• Thank the viewer for considering you for employment.
Where to Upload Your Video
What do you do with your video once you've created it? Some career networking sites, like CareerBuilder, Jobster, and MyWorkster, have a section of your profile where you can include video. Or, you can upload your video to your own web site and link to it from there.
How to Promote Your Video Resume
Before you promote your resume online, ask friends or family to review it. They are more likely to pick up a glitch than you are. If it's not perfect, start over. Once your video resume is complete, there are several ways to promote it online.
• Include a link to your video resume in your paper/online resume.
• Include your video resume or a link to it in your professional profiles on career networking sites.